Thursday, June 01, 2006

Chugchilan and Quilotoa

I spent two days and two nights on the Chugchilan loop just south of Quito. Chugchilan is a very small Andean town with three competing hostels and plenty of young gringos searching for the experience that comes so very highly recommended in every Ecuadorian guidebook. The guidebooks are right though. I would definitely say the hike near Chugchilan at Laguna Quilotoa is one of the most beautiful I've ever done. These photos almost do it justice. The light was better when I was there...


Laguna Quilotoa. It's in the crater of an old volcano. This is the start of the hike. You can also kayak around for pretty cheap, which I did, and it was awesome.


View near Chugchilan. Lots of gulleys and valleys in this area. We had to cross a landslide that was still sliding.

No comments: